Ecological Dynamics for Dummies
Hold the phone! Pump the brakes! Of course, we do NOT think you are a dummy!
But we do know that sifting through the ideas which are most pertinent to enabling movement professionals to deeply understand sport movement skill can prove itself to be a relatively daunting task at times. This endeavor is only made more difficult if you are trying to utilize ideas which are new, novel, and foreign to you…and also highly misunderstood and misapplied by many across the community, as well.
However, we believe that adopting an Ecological Dynamics framework can be highly beneficial for your craft and can truly change the way that you view movement behavior in sport. Thus, in order to sufficiently do that, one must be able to fully grasp the concepts, terms, and principles which are vitally important to investigating, understanding, and explaining movement skill at the levels that we believe that our community desires to.
Because of that, we created this course, ‘Ecological Dynamics for Dummies,’ to stand as a more bite-sized version of our more extensive course, ‘Underpinnings,’ as a way to bring the sport movement skill community more clarity and a common ground. Using the popular instructional book series that most are familiar with as our inspiration and model, we intended this course to be more direct, simpler, and less intimidating overall.
In this 90 minute course, we will introduce and unpack the main theoretical concepts which make-up an Ecological Dynamics framework that we believe can immediately change your personal Form of Life as a practitioner.
Within it, we aim to define and expand on ideas such as:
- Accepting the reality: the complexity of sport movement behavior
- Why it’s imperative that you adopt Systems Thinking
- The marriage of Ecological Psychology and Dynamical Systems Theory into Ecological Dynamics
- Why Bernstein’s ideas regarding Dexterity may be our main objective for athletes and humans alike
- What is Self-organization and why is it essential that we grasp onto its presence in movement systems
- Emergence within movement systems in the form of skilled movement solutions
- Why Information is power and Affordances hold the key
- Why perception and action must be coupled
- The importance of movement variability (Bernstein was onto something with repetition without repetition too!)
- What is this whole Constraints-Led Approach that everyone is talking about?
- Why is it so important that we acknowledge if a task is a ‘Representative’ one?
- Who you should read, follow, and learn from within the field
- And much, much more!
Approaching the Weight Room from an Ecological Dynamics Perspective
If you are passionate about understanding sport movement behavior and are entrusted with facilitating enhanced movement skill for individuals of all sorts, we believe this course will offer you invaluable insight that will change your craft and the game of those individuals forever. We hope that you will consider joining us on this journey.
- Official References/Reading List (PDF) – The must have collection
Movement Meet-up Think Tank
- Movement Meet-up Zoom calls each month where over a 60 minute period of time you will get an opportunity to hear from members of the EMERGENCE team on the various concepts and ideas related to the course content. Can’t make it on the call? That’s okay; they will be recorded and you will have access to them!
Copyright 2021 Emergence